Harley riders look different from others when it comes to motorcycles and bikers. They dress differently, have a distinctive culture, and stand out in a crowd. Initially, Harley riders preferred half helmets to other types, even with their vests and coverings. But now, they have realized the safety implication of such action and have settled to wearing full-face helmets.
So the answer to why do Harley riders wear full-face helmets is no longer a mystery. There are obvious answers to this question. They wear it to fully protect their head, brain, and face from injury during an accident without leaving the neck unprotected. A detailed explanation of these and other reasons are explained in this article, and the type of helmet Harley riders wear. Let’s get into it.
What Kind of Helmets Do Harley Riders Wear?
Harley has various kinds of motorcycles, and its riders wear helmets of different types. They wear half, flip-up, or full helmets depending on the length of their trip and the weather condition. For long trips of over 100 miles at high speeds, most Harley riders would wear a full-face or flip-up helmet. They offer a higher degree of protection and reduce fatigue, while the flip-up helmet provides more comfort.
However, most Harley riders prefer wearing a half or open-face helmet while cruising around the streets. But they wouldn’t mind putting on the full-face or flip-up helmet in cold weather irrespective of the distance. There are various types of full-face helmets for Harley riders, they include;
1. Bell Qualifier Full-Face Helmet
Bell helmets have integrated designs that make them shockproof. They are repulsive to force and reduce the impact of a collision. Bell has an ABS construction that makes it affordable and durable. They are padded with a collar and have anti-scratch protection.
2. Shoei RF-SR Helmet
This type of helmet is made with Advanced Integrated Technology. It consists of organic fibers and fiberglass layers that provide durability. The helmet has received a very high rating in terms of safety, which contributes to its increased price. Shoei has a clear shield, shockproof build with a comfortable design.
3. Fuel Helmets:
Full Face Helmet For Harley riders is the cheapest with great value. They have extra simple features with efficient design and are lightweight. Although not many Harley riders prefer this cheap option, Fuel helmets have a good ventilation system and provide more comfort.
4. LS2 Full Face Stream Street Helmet
LS2 helmet is a full-face helmet made of Polycarbonate or ABS plastic. It’s another cheap helmet that is resistant to stress with a twin shield system. LS2 helmets have good padding and ventilation systems that make them more comfortable for longer rides. They are DOT approved and easy to remove.
5. GDM Full Face Motorcycle Helmet
GDM full-face helmets are stylish though not popular but have some unique features. They adopt the new aerodynamic shell design to reduce obstruction and wind noise. GDM helmets are durable, lightweight, and have five ventilation ports, including the rear, forehead, and chin. They are removable and washable with flush-fit face shields and no side cover.
It’s important to note that all Harley helmets are DOT-approved, meaning they meet all the safety standards.
Why Do Harley Riders Wear Full-Face Helmets?
The answer to why do Harley riders wear full-face helmets can now be traced to the various advantages of full-face helmets. Even with the Cons of this type of helmet, it still stands as the most recommended among all the helmet types. These various reasons are what we outlined below;
- Full-face helmets protect the Harley riders from harsh weather conditions like rain, cold, and sun.
- It protects their faces and eyes from flying objects like stones or sand particles.
- Full-face helmets are the major type of helmets certified for sports and entertainment.
- It’s the best in terms of safety and protection. It reduces the impact of a collision on the rider during an accident that would have led to severe injuries or death.
- The weight of the helmet doesn’t allow it to fly off when speeding.
- With a full-face helmet that has a tinted visor, you don’t need to wear eye goggles or sunglasses.
- Full-face helmet’s insulation from the environment make wearing them less fatiguing during long trips.
- The helmet reduces side distractions and helps Harley riders focus on their ride.
- The large outer surface of this helmet allows Harley riders to customize them to a particular brand.
- Some Harley riders wear a full-face helmet because it’s what the legal law demands.
What Do You Wear On A Harley Ride?
Harley riders are known for their unique outfit that is why they always stand out in the crowd. In addition to giving them a unique fitting, these wear also serve as protective apparel. Both male and female Harley riders can comfortably wear and ride with them, based on their shapes and sizes. They are listed below.
- Helmet: Protects the head, brain, and face from injury.
- Footwear: Harley riders’ footwears are boots; they protect the foot and part of the legs.
- Jeans: Serves as protection for the legs, knees, and thighs.
- Gloves: They are protective wear for the palm.
- Leather Motorcycle Jackets: It serves as a protective gadget for the body
- Shirt or Top: You wear it before the jacket.
- Watches and Jewelry: Adds more uniqueness and time consciousness.
- Eyewear or Sunglasses: Protect the eyes from wind and floating debris while riding with a half helmet.
- Socks: You wear them before the footwear.
However, apart from the helmet, there is no legal regulation or specification on the rest of the wear. Therefore, the type and style solely depend on your taste and usage.
By now, you are well informed on the answers to this popular question ‘why do Harley riders wear full-face helmets. Of course, you wouldn’t have any more challenges choosing a suitable helmet for your Harley ride. The article gave a detailed explanation of the kind of helmets Harley riders wear.
However, most Harley riders only wear full-face helmets when going on a long ride at high speed. But this shouldn’t be, except for a mere stroll. It’s better to wear a full-face helmet as a Harley rider. The helmet will shield your eyes from flying debris and wind. It will also give complete protection to your face, head, and brain from severe injury during an accident.